Monday, February 14, 2011

Birthday blogging

And just like that, with a speed of passage of time that I scarcely believed possible, I turned 27 today. And I was perfectly content spending it in the most ordinary fashion. I did the standard temple trip for my birthday, asked for forgiveness for my transgressions, decided to treat myself at Birdy’s, and had a rather pleasantly surprising conf call last night with a bunch of IIT wingmates even as my phone battery ran out :(
 
I have never been a fan of the idea of putting up birthdays on social networking websites. Part of it is to do with the fact that I will be too lazy to reply, and that too to most of the people who, in all probability, will not be bothered if I didn’t reply back. I absolutely, firmly, unabashedly detest the idea of proclaiming my acceptance of all the wishes in one sweeping, vainglorious statement. I would rather believe that people who care will call in, they are the ones I would want to talk to, and they are the ones who matter :) - a handful suffices, put in more and it becomes an uncomfortable crowd. 

The rumble from home becomes louder with passing time, and as I was warned today, my birthdays as a bachelor might be close to an end. I will probably be able to stall for one more birthday, but not sure if I could do so more one more after that. Not that I am against the institution of holy matrimony, I am just a little skeptical of my capabilities to handle the associated responsibilities. Plus, given that I have almost invariably found myself at the wrong end of the so-called work-life balance, I am guessing what was anonymously passable until now may not be so acceptable in future.    

This time, and really this time in all its seriousness, more so after being publicly derided for it, I have decided to try and be less of a smartass and a pretentious know-it-all. I am beginning to guess that a little more nicety and little less trivia will take me farther in life than the other way around. Not that I have done much in life to stake claims to being a nice person – but at least I can try and be less of a pain.

Some decisions will need to be taken in the next few weeks, some professional, some personal. I am still in two minds about those, and maybe it is a little early, but I do hope I will make the right ones.

M and M, this blog will not be complete without a mention of you. I don’t know if you will ever get around to reading this, but if you do, thank you for an awesome evening yesterday, and thanks for taking the trouble of coming down from afar and staying up late despite having early morning workdays. It meant a lot to me – more than I could ever communicate. I couldn’t possibly have asked for better people for company on my birthday eve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counters
Overstock Online Coupons